Brantry Lough, County Tyrone
Ir. An Bréantar [an breyntar] ‘the place of odours’.
10km SSW of Dungannon
par: Aghaloo bar: Dungannon Lower
The place-name may refer to a swamp or bog. There was formerly a Franciscan friary in the townland of GORT. Brantry has given name to BRANTRY LOUGH and BRANTRY WOOD [(imlibh) a’Bhrentair 1642].
Historical name form
|Old Form||Ref. Date||Reference|
|(?)Brentur||1641-||Colton Vis. 12t, Ir.Journal|
|~An Bréantar ""the place of odours""||1999||Dict. Ulst. PN 28|
- Dungannon Lower
- Parish in 1851
- Place name ID
- Place name type