Ballinderry Parish, County Antrim
Ir. Baile an Doire [bala an dirra] ‘townland of the oak wood’.
Townland is 9.5km NE of Lurgan
bar: Massereene Upper
The townland of Ballinderry lies on the east shore of Lough Neagh and has given name to the hamlets of LOWER BALLINDERRY and UPPER BALLINDERRY. The latter was formerly known as Largy’s Lane Ends and lies 3km to the east, in the townland of BALLYSCOLLY. The remains of the former parish church are in a graveyard on the shore of Portmore Lough [Ballynderry 1661].
ReferencesMcKay, P. (2007): A Dictionary of Ulster Place-Names, p. 9
Historical name form
- Massereene Upper
- Parish in 1851
- Place name ID
- Place name type