Aghagallon Parish, County Antrim
Ir. Achadh Gallán [aghoo galan].
Village is 5.5km NNE of Lurgan
bar: Massereene Upper
The Mod. Ir. form of the place-name means ‘field of (standing) stones’. However, it appears to be a development from an earlier form Eanach Gallánach ‘marsh/moor of (standing) stones’. There are no standing-stones in the area but ‘a large ancient cairn of stones’ is recorded in the townland in 1835. There are remains of an ancient church in a circular graveyard in the north of the townland. The village of Aghagallon is partly in the neighbouring townland of DERRYNASEER [(Capella de) Enacha c.1306].
ReferencesMcKay, P. (2007): A Dictionary of Ulster Place-Names, p. 1
Historical name form
- Massereene Upper
- Parish in 1851
- Place name ID
- Place name type