Placenamesni.orgthe history behind our place-names

Gilford, County Down

Origin

Gill (from surname Magill) + Eng. ford

Background

On the Upper Bann, 6km WNW of Banbridge

par: Tullylish bar: Iveagh Lower, Upper Half

The name Gilford is a contraction of Magill’s ford and is named from Captain John Magill (later Sir John Magill) who acquired lands in this area in the 17th century and who lived at GILL HALL in Dromore. The site of the ford is marked by the bridge which was constructed in the 18th century at the lower end of the town, linking the townlands of DRUMARAN and LOUGHANS [Gilford 1678].

References

Muhr, K. (1996): Place-Names of Northern Ireland vol. 6 p. 349-50; McKay, P. (2007): A Dictionary of Ulster Place-Names, p. 73

Additional Information

T., 1851 Census

Historical name form

Old FormRef. DateReference
Gilford1658cAtkinson's Donaghcloney 24
Gilford town, manor1666ASE 112a
Guilford, Towne of1692Rent Roll Down 9
Gillford1734Ir. Wills Index 95
Gillford1743Harris Hist. map
Gilford on r.Bann1744Harris Hist. 105
Gillford1777Taylor & Skinner 15
Gilford1802Dubourdieu's Map Dn (OSNB) E61
Gilford1810Wm. Map (OSNB) E61
""Gill''s Ford"" from McGill of Gill Hall1834cJ O'D (OSNB) E61
[''Gil-ford]1834cOSNB Pron. E61
~Áth Mhic Giolla1989GÉ 9
Áth Mhic Giolla1992PNI 349
Ath Mhic Giolla2000Gateway to Ulster Map
Barony
Iveagh Lr., Up. Half
Parish
Tullylish
Parish in 1851
Tullylish
Townland
Loughans/Drumaran
Place name ID
11567
Place name type
M:V