Placenamesni.orgthe history behind our place-names

Acton, County Armagh

Origin

Background

Close to Co. Down border, 5.5km SSE of Tanderagee

par: Ballymore bar: Orior Lower

In 1600 Lieutenant Charles Poyntz who successfully defended the pass of Poyntz Pass against Hugh O’Neill Earl of Tyrone (see below) was granted land here on which he built a house and bawn and it was around this residence that the village of Acton grew up. It was named from Lieutenant Poyntz’s native village of IRON ACTON (O.E. Actun ‘oak-tree farmstead’) in Gloucestershire. The old name for the townland of Acton was Curryotragh which appears to derive from Ir. An Chora Uachtarach ‘the upper weir’ and may have referred to a weir or rocky ford on a nearby river, the course of which is marked by the now-disused NEWRY CANAL. ACTON GLEBE and ACTON HOUSE are in the neighbouring townland of BRANNOCK [(the manor of) Acton1619].

References

McKay, P. (2007): A Dictionary of Ulster Place-Names, p. 1

Additional Information

Historical name form

Sorry your query did not return any results.
Barony
Orior Lower
Parish
Ballymore
Parish in 1851
Ballymore
Townland
None
Place name ID
11791
Place name type
T