Placenamesni.orgthe history behind our place-names

Killynether, County Down

Origin

perhaps Ir. coillidh + Eng. nether ('lower') or Ir. Coill an Íochtair ‘lower wood’

Background

Killynether is recorded as Killinether in c.1659, as Killenether in 1679 and as Killynether in 1745 and the historical forms are very consistent, therefore. John O’Donovan, in the Ordnance Survey Name Book of c.1834, has taken Killynether to represent Ir. Coill an Íochtair ‘lower wood’, presumably on the understanding that Eng. nether may be a translation of Ir. íochtar 'bottom'. It is also possible that the name was simply Coillidh in Irish (an oblique form of Ir. coill) to which Eng. nether 'lower' was appended later; however, there seems to be no record of any contrasting 'upper wood' from which Killynether might have been distinguished. There is a wood called Killynether Wood on the lower slopes of Scrabo Hill on the eastern boundary of the townland which (unless some evidence emerges to indicate that it is a recent plantation) may represent the survival of earlier woodland.  Being located on the slopes of Scrabo Hill, it is likely to have remained wooded for longer than the low-lying areas of the district.

References

P. McKay, 2009; revised PT, MÓM 2012

Additional Information

Historical name form

Old FormRef. DateReference

Killinosher Quae

1661BSD 120

Coill an Iochtair ""lower wood""

1834cJ O'D (OSNB) E 19

Coill-an-iochtair ""lower wood""

1913Joyce iii 421
Killinether1659cCensus 1659 87
Killenether1679Montgomery MSS 268 n.37
Killynether1745Map of Down (OSNB) E 19
Killynether1745Map of Down (OSNB) E 19
Killynether1810Wm. Map (OSNB) E 19
Killineather1823Downshire Direct. 324
Killynether1830cBnd. Sur. (OSNB) E 19
Barony
Castlereagh Lower
Parish
Comber
Parish in 1851
Comber
Townland
None
Place name ID
11956
Place name type
T