Placenamesni.orgthe history behind our place-names

Lisbane, County Down

Origin

Ir. An Lios Bán ‘the white ringfort’

Background

5km SE of Comber

par: Tullynakill bar: Castlereagh Lower

Lisbane townland lies inland south of Ballydrain and west of Tullynakill.  No white fort survives now, but at grid ref J 606578 is an earthwork, not on any edition of the 6-in map, revealed by air photography on top of a 100ft drumlin. ‘It has been squarish in plan with rounded corners, and had a single bank and ditch’ preserved intact in the field boundary on the S.  The rest can be traced as a shallow depression on the ground’ (ASCD 171, plate 35).

References

K. Muhr, 2009

Additional Information

Historical name form

Old FormRef. DateReference

Lios Bán, An

1989GÉ 124

An Lios Bán ""the white fort""

1999Dict. Ulst. PN 95
Ba:Lisbane1625cRaven Map Clandeboye 51,54
Lishbane1659cCensus 1659 88
Barony
Castlereagh Lower
Parish
Tullynakill
Parish in 1851
Tullynakill
Townland
None
Place name ID
12125
Place name type
T