Quarterland, County Down
Eng. quarter + land; earlier Ir. An Cheathrú Riabhach 'the brindled quarter'
The original name In Irish is clearly An Cheathrú Riabhach 'the brindled quarter' and that the name was understood as deriving from ceathrú may be indiacted by one of the Raven Maps of Clandeboye which records the townland as ‘The quarter of Carrowr[e]gh’ in 1625. A map of 1745 owned by S. Crawford appears to have been the first source to partially translate the name as Quarterland, and by the 1830s this English version had become the usual name.
Historical name form
|Old Form||Ref. Date||Reference|
|1659c||Census 1659 84|
|(?)Carrowreagh||1625c||Raven Map Clandeboye 57|
|Carowregh||1625c||Raven Map Clandeboye 61|
|Carrowrgh, The quarter of||1625c||Raven Map Clandeboye 58|
|Quarterland||1745||Map in poss. S. Crawford (OSNB) 36/56|
|Quarterland||1810||Wm. Map (OSNB) 36/56|
|Quarterland||1830c||Bnd. Sur. (OSNB) 36/56|
- Parish in 1851
- Place name ID
- Place name type