Legamaddy, County Down
Ir. Lag an Mhadaidh ‘hollow of the dog’
4.5km S of Downpatrick
par: Bright bar: Lecale Upper
The name of the townland of Legamaddy does not appear to be recorded prior to 1710 (Leggamaddy). However, its derivation is clearly Lag an Mhadaidh ‘hollow of the dog’ as in Gasaitéar na hÉireann (GÉ 120). There is a small lake at the south-west corner of the townland and this may be the ‘hollow’ referred to in the place-name.
Historical name form
|Old Form||Ref. Date||Reference|
Lag an mhadaidh ""the dog''s hollow""
|1834c||J O'D (OSNB) 170|
Lag an Mhadaidh
Lag an Mhadaidh ""hollow of the (wild) dog""
|1999||Dict. Ulst. PN 94|
Lag na Madadh "" hollow of the dogs/foxes""
|1999||Cel. Ulst. Tds 17|
|Leggamaddy||1710||Map Ld de Clifford (OSNB) E 120|
|Liggamaddy||1755||Map of Down (OSNB) E 120|
|Liggamaddy||1810||Wm. Map (OSNB) E 120|
|Ligamaddy||1830c||Bnd. Sur. (OSNB) E 120|
- Lecale Upper
- Parish in 1851
- Place name ID
- Place name type