Placenamesni.orgthe history behind our place-names

Belcoo , County Fermanagh

Origin

Ir. Béal Cú [bell koo] ‘(ford-) mouth of the narrow’.

Background

14.5km WSW of Enniskillen

par: Cleenish bar: Clanawley

The final element of the place-name is a shortened form of cúnga, the genitive of cúng ‘a narrow’. In this case it appears to refer to the stretch of river which connects Upper and Lower Lough Macnean across a narrow neck of land and forms the southern boundary of the townlands of BELCOO EAST and BELCOO WEST. The village of Belcoo is in the townland of BELCOO EAST and the site of the ford is marked by the bridge over the river, at the bottom of the village street [Beallacoungamore, Beallacoungabegg 1607].

References

Additional Information

Historical name form

Old FormRef. DateReference
kiliconge 1/21609Esch. Co. Map 7 Clanawley
Belcow1659Census 1659 104
Belcoo Br.1777Taylor & Skinner 54
Bellcoo Rd.1777Taylor & Skinner 47b
Belcoo/Bellcoo (bridge)1834OSM xiv 20
Bellcoo, East1834OSM xiv 29
Bellcoo, West1834OSM xiv 29
~Bel Cúmhaidh ""pass of sorrow - Bel is a pass""1834J O'D (OSNB) B128 B54
~Béal Cú1989GÉ 189
~Béal Cú ""(ford-)mouth of the narrow""1999Dict. Ulst. PN 21
Béal Cú ""(ford-)mouth of the narrow strait""2002Fer. Bilingual Map PMcK
Béal Cú ""ford mouth of the narrow""2002Culture NI PNN PMcK/JP
Barony
Clanawley
Parish
Cleenish
Parish in 1851
Cleenish
Townland
None
Place name ID
12956
Place name type
M:D