Aghinure, County Fermanagh
Ir. Achadh an Iúir ‘field of the yew’
Aghinure is situated approximately a mile and a half south-west of Maguiresbridge.
In the 1680 form the name of the townland is mistakenly written as Aghamore, probably through confusion with the name of the townland of Aghamore North which lies a short distance to the south-west. The association of Aghinure with Drummack in the early forms reflects the fact that the townlands share a boundary.
The derivation of the place-name is clearly Achadh an Iúir “field of the yew”, as previously suggested. A Fermanagh connection with the Irish variety of yew tree is revealed in an entry in Ó Dónaill’s dictionary which cites Iúr Éireannach as signifying “Irish, Florence Court, yew” (Ó Dónaill sv. iúr).
Achadh an Iúir, “field of the yew” is also the Irish name of the town of Virginia in Co. Cavan (GÉ 3).
References(info. from McKay, P. (2004): Place-Names of Northern Ireland vol. 8 p. 15)
Historical name form
|Old Form||Ref. Date||Reference|
|Achinure (tate, claimed by R Netterville)||1662c||Court of Claims $412|
|Aghanure, Drumack and||1675||ASE 231 b 41|
|(?)Aghamore||1680||BSD (Ó Maolagáin) 532|
|Aghanure||1817||GJM M'stephana (OSNB) B113|
|Aghanure||1830c||Bnd. Sur. (OSNB) B113|
|~Achadh an iubhair ""field of the yew""||1834c||J O'D (OSNB) B113|
- Parish in 1851
- Place name ID
- Place name type