Glarryford, County Antrim
Sc. glarry ‘muddy’ + E. ‘ford’.
10km NNW of Ballymena
par: Rasharkin bar: Kilconway
The site of the ford is marked by GLARRYFORD BRIDGE which crosses the Clogh River a short distance east of its junction with the Main and links the townland of DUNDERMOT in the parish of GRANGE OF DUNDERMOT with the townland of KILDOWNEY in the parish of KIRKINRIOLA. The hamlet of Glarryford is west of the Main, in the townland of DROMORE and parish of Rasharkin [Glaraford 1835].
ReferencesMcKay, P. (2007): A Dictionary of Ulster Place-Names, p. 73
Historical name form
|Old Form||Ref. Date||Reference|
|~An tÁth Glárach||1989||GÉ 225|
|Sc.glarry ""muddy"" + E. ""ford""||1999||Dict. Ulst. PN 73|
|glaury ford "" muddy ford""||1999||Cel. Ulst. Tds 11|
- Parish in 1851
- Place name ID
- Place name type