Placenamesni.orgthe history behind our place-names

Bessbrook, County Armagh

Origin

Background

4km NW of Newry

par: Killevy bar: Orior Upper

The village of Bessbrook is named from Elizabeth or Bess Nicholson, wife of Mr Joseph Nicholson whose family had carried on a linen business in the district from 1806 until 1845, the first mill having been originally established by William Pollock at the end of the 18th century. The present ‘model village’ of Bessbrook was founded in 1846 by John Grubb Richardson, son of James Nicolson Richardson and a relation by marriage of the Nicolson family. The Richardsons were descended from John Richardson from Gloucestershire in England who had settled in Loughgall at the end of the 16th century. The brook in question is the BESSBROOK RIVER, the upper portion of which is known as the CAMLOUGH RIVER. The village of Bessbrook straddles the three townlands of MAGHERNAHELY, CLOGHAREVAN and MAYTOWN [Bessbrook 1888].

References

Additional Information

Historical name form

Old FormRef. DateReference
~Cloch Fhuaráin1905Post-Sheanchas Corrigenda
~An Sruthán1969AGBP 101
~An sruthán1988Éire Thuaidh
~Sruthán, An1989GÉ 161
An Sruth n ''the brook''2000Gateway to Ulster Map
An Sruthán ''the brook''2000Gateway to Ulster Map
Barony
Orior Upper
Parish
Killevy
Parish in 1851
Killevy
Townland
Maytown
Place name ID
14681
Place name type
M