Ballintoy, County Antrim
perhaps Ir. Baile an Tuathaigh [bala an toohee] ‘townland of the ruler of the tuath’.
The word tuath signifies a petty Irish kingdom. The parish of Ballintoy formed part of the neighbouring parish of BILLY until the late 17th or early 18th century. The townland of Ballintoy is bordered on the west by the townland of BALLINTOY DEMESNE [Ballenatoy 1603].
ReferencesMcKay, P. (2007): A Dictionary of Ulster Place-Names, p. 10
Historical name form
- Parish in 1851
- Place name ID
- Place name type