Portglenone Parish, County Antrim
Ir. Port Chluain Eoghain [port khlooin oan] ‘landing place of Glenone’.
Town is on E bank of the Lower Bann, 12km W of Ballymena
bar: Toome Lower
Portglenone in the townland of GARVAGHY takes its name from the townland of Glenone (Ir. Cluain Eoghain ‘Owen’s meadow’) which adjoins it on the western side of the Lower Bannin Co.Derry. Before the construction of a bridge c.1680 there was a ferry across the Bann here. The parish of Portglenone was created out of the neighbouring parish of Ahoghill in 1840 [Portecloneonone 1593].
ReferencesMcKay, P. (2007): A Dictionary of Ulster Place-Names, p. 121
Historical name form
|Old Form||Ref. Date||Reference|
|Port Chluain Eoghain ""landing place of Glenone or||2002||Culture NI PNN PMcK/JP|
- Toome Lower
- Parish in 1851
- Place name ID
- Place name type