Dunluce Parish, County Antrim
Ir. Dúnlios [doonliss]‘fortress/fortified residence’.
Townland is on N. Antrim coast, 3km WNW of Bushmills
The fortress in question is DUNLUCE CASTLE,the ruins of which stand on a high isolated rock above the sea. It is thought to date from c.1300 but is likely to mark the site of an earlier fortification. The site of the medieval parish church is marked by a ruin in a graveyard a short distance south of the castle. The townland of Dunluce is in the barony of DUNLUCE LOWER which is adjoined on the south by the barony of DUNLUCE UPPER [(Caislen) Dhúinlis 1513].
ReferencesMcKay, P. (2007): A Dictionary of Ulster Place-Names, p. 64
Historical name form
- Dunluce Lower
- Parish in 1851
- Place name ID
- Place name type