Buckna, County Antrim
Ir. Bocshnámh [bucknau] ‘ford of stags’.
The name of the townland of Buckna is recorded as Boughna in 1669 and as Buckna in 1780 and the most satisfactory interpretation of the place-name is Bocshnámh ‘ford of stags’. The ford may have been on the stream known as Glen Burn which forms the southern boundary of the townland. While the hamlet of Buckna Upper is in the townland of Buckna, the village of Buckna straddles the townlands of Ballynacaird, Ballyligpatrick and Tamybuck a short distance west of the townland.
Historical name form
|Old Form||Ref. Date||Reference|
|Boughna||1669||HMR Ant. 136|
|Bocnach ""hilly, abounding in knolls or hillocks""||1832c||J O'D (OSNB) B44 B91|
|Boc Snamha ""Swimming Ford of the Stags""||1934||Magill's Antrim 71|
|~Bocshnámh ""stag ford""||1999||Dict. Ulst. PN 30|
- Antrim Lower
- Parish in 1851
- Place name ID
- Place name type