Aughaboy, County Antrim
Ir. Achadh Buí‘yellow field’
The townland of Aughaboy (achadh buí ‘yellow field’) is adjacent to Deer Park Farms, higher up to the south-east, rising to 1049ft [320m] on the 1-inch map. The element achadh ‘field, land, plain’ is often also anglicised agha, as in the spellings Aghabuey, 1734, Aghabooey 1780. Achadh has been endorsed by Fergus Kelly (1997, 371) as an early term for grazing land. It seems to be used locally of open upland pasture, while the farm called Parkboy within Aughaboy uses Irish páirc in its later Irish sense of ‘field’.
In 1864 Margaret Galvin of ‘Crucandhu [Crockandoo] sometimes referred to as Dunarragan’ in Glenarm married Patrick Mor Magill of Aughaboy, bringing with her the Ardclinis crozier. This 9th-century heirloom, of Irish oak covered in bronze, is now in the National Museum in Dublin, but had been looked after by the Galvin family, originally of Ardclinis. The Northern Whig of 1840 noted that until about 1812 or ‘28 years ago the bachil or crozier [of St McKenna] remained in the chancel window’ of Ardclinis chapel, where it was used for swearing the truth. When Feystown Chapel needed repair in 1961, Galvin descendant Alice McAllister sold the crozier to the National Musuem and donated the money to the renovations (McKillop 1987, 8, with photo).
Historical name form
|Old Form||Ref. Date||Reference|
|(?)Kearncloghan||1672c||Hib. Del. Antrim|
|~Cúigeadh Buidhe ""yellow fifth""||1832c||J O'D (OSNB) B7 B34|
|achadh buidhe ""yellow field""||1982||Dallat's Tickmacrevan x 37|
- Glenarm Lower
- Parish in 1851
- Place name ID
- Place name type