Placenamesni.orgthe history behind our place-names

Hightown, County Antrim

Origin

E. High + E. Town

Background

This is an English name which probably refers to the location of the townland, in a position further north in relation to another townland, Lowtown. It is likely that this townland previously had an Irish name, although it is unclear which (if any) name(s) belong to this townland as many are repeated elsewhere. The forms Lisnedrumbard (1657c), Lisdrinnbard (1659c) and Lisnedrumberd (1672c) are clearly related. The first element in this names derives from lios ‘fort’ which might make reference to a fort of earth on the farm of Andrew Inglis (OSM 10, 118). This element appears to be followed by the definite article na (instantiated as -ne- in the Hib. Reg. references), introducing the second element which might be the element droim ard ‘high ridge’. However, this would derive the form Lios an Droma Aird ‘fort of the high ridge’. which does not contain the correct form of the article (na), or Lios na nDroma Ard within which the [d] of droma which is subject to consonant mutation of the plural to [n], unattested in the forms. Further, neither of these forms are representative of the forms above, as they cannot explain the appearance of [b] on the final syllable of the historical forms.

The element drinn is the genitive form of dreann ‘rough encounter, combat, quarrel’ (Ó Dónaill) and appears in the 1659c form Lisdrinnbard which, along with the element barda ‘garrison, guard’ might derive from Lios Drinn Barda ‘fort of the battle of the guard’. Less likely is the element bard ‘bard’ and the form Lios Drinn Bard ‘fort of the battle of the bards’

References

Additional Information

Historical name form

Old FormRef. DateReference
(?)Altimore1657cHib. Reg. Glenarm
(?)Lisnedrumbard1657cHib. Reg. Glenarm
(?)Touingriffin1657cHib. Reg. Glenarm
Lisdrinnbard1659cCensus 1659 3
(?)Lisnedrumberd1672cHib. Del. Antrim
Hightown1780Lendrick Map
Barony
Glenarm Upper
Parish
Kilwaughter
Parish in 1851
Kilwaughter
Townland
None
Place name ID
16865
Place name type
T