Placenamesni.orgthe history behind our place-names

Tullycore, County Down

Origin

Ir. An Tulaigh Chorr ‘the prominent hillock’

Background

Tullycore is a small townland in the SE of Killinchy parish, bounded on the south by Tullymore. Luke Killen interpreted the name as Tulach Chuair ‘round winding hill’, but the second element is more likely to be the adjective corr which can mean ‘prominent’ or ‘pointed’.  The eastern bound is a road and the northern a stream from Carrigullion Lough, and there is a hillock in the north from which the townland could be named. 

References

KM, 2009; with additions PT, 2012

Additional Information

Historical name form

Old FormRef. DateReference

Tullycore

1745Map in poss. S. Crawford (OSNB)

Tullycore

1810Wm. Map (OSNB)

Tullycore

1825cBnd. Sur.

Tulach Chuair

1834cLuke Killen (OSNB)
Barony
Dufferin
Parish
Killinchy
Parish in 1851
Killinchy
Townland
None
Place name ID
17326
Place name type
T