Placenamesni.orgthe history behind our place-names

Ballyskeagh Low, County Down

Origin

Ir. Baile na Sceach ‘townland of the thorn bushes’ + Eng. low

Background

The forms Tullacheskeyche c. 1260 and Tulascheagh c. 1306, indicate that at an early period, the first element of this name was tulach ‘hillock’, and a likely postulated Irish original for these forms is Tulach Sceiche ‘hillock of the thorn bush’.  The weight of the historical evidence also suggests that the name later developed to Baile na Sceach ‘townland of the thorn bushes’ and this is the recommended Irish form of the place-name.  The fact that we find a reference to the two Ballineskeaghes in 1605 indicates that Ballyskeagh was divided into two townlands (now known as Ballyskeagh High and Ballyskeagh Low) from as early as the beginning of the 17th century.  There is another townland named Ballyskeagh in the parish of Lambeg outside Lisburn.

References

Hannan R. J. (1992): Place-Names of Northern Ireland vol. 2 p. 224

Additional Information

See also Ballyskeagh High

Historical name form

Old FormRef. DateReference
Ballyskeagh-beg1810Wm. Map (OSNB) E 32
Ballyskeagh (Low)1830cBnd. Sur. (OSNB) E 32
Ballyskeagh Low1834cOSNB: gen. sources E 32
Barony
Castlereagh Lower
Parish
Newtownards
Parish in 1851
Newtownards
Townland
None
Place name ID
17437
Place name type
T