Placenamesni.orgthe history behind our place-names

Church Quarter, County Down

Origin

Eng. church + quarter; earlier Sc./Northern Eng. kirk + quarter

Background

This townland is so named because it contains the site of the medieval parish church of Dundonald, which is marked by the present Church of Ireland church in the middle of the town of Dundonald. The name of the townland is recorded as The Kirke Quarter on Raven’s Map of Clandeboye in c.1625, kirk being a Scots and Northern English word for a church, borrowed from Old Norse kirkja (CUD). The townland is referred to as Church Qr Dundonnell in 1681 (Ham. Copy Rental 109).

References

P. McKay, 2009

Additional Information

Historical name form

Old FormRef. DateReference
The Kirke quarter1625cRaven Map Clandeboye 38
Church Qr Dundonell1681Ham. Copy Rental 109
Church Quarter1830cTreas. Warrant (OSNB) No. 48
Church Quarter1830cBnd. Sur. (OSNB) No. 48
Church Quarter1830cBnd. Sur. (OSNB) No. 48
Church Quarter1830cTreas. Warrant (OSNB) No. 48
Barony
Castlereagh Lower
Parish
Dundonald
Parish in 1851
Dundonald
Townland
None
Place name ID
17462
Place name type
T