Ballyphilip Parish, County Down
Ir. Baile Philib ‘Philip’s townland’; earlier Eng. Felipton / Phyllipestoun
The name of the townland and parish of Ballyphilip started off as an Anglo-Norman place-name which was gaelicised in the post-medieval period as Baile Philib. We have no certain knowledge who this Philip was but the personal name was popular among the early Anglo-Norman settlers, as can be seen from ‘Philippo et Hugone de Cestria’, ‘Philippo de Hastig’ (Cartae Dun. 420 §4, 421 §7 c. 1183 AD). The personal name Philip, borrowed into English from French, goes back to Latin Philippus, a borrowing from Greek Philippos meaning ‘fond of horses’ (Klein 1967:1173).
ReferencesHughes A. J. (1992): Place-Names of Northern Ireland vol. 2 p. 41
See townland of Ballyphilip for historical forms of this name.
Historical name form
- Ards Upper
- Parish in 1851
- Place name ID
- Place name type