Killyleagh Parish (Dufferin portion), County Down
Ir. Cill Ó Laoch ‘church of the descendants of Laoch’
Town is on W shore of Strangford Lough, 8.5km NNE of Downpatrick
It is possible that Laoch is a variant spelling of Luighdheach, a genitive form of Lughaidh which was a popular name in early Ireland. The ruins of the medieval parish church are 1km north of the town centre, in the large townland of Corporation. Most of the parish of Killyleagh is in the barony of Dufferin, but a small portion consisting of the townland of Killinchy in the Woods is in the barony of Castlereagh Upper.
ReferencesMcKay, P. (1999): A Dictionary of Ulster Place-Names, p. 88
Other portion in Castlereagh Upper; see the town of Killyleagh for historical forms of this name.
Historical name form
|Old Form||Ref. Date||Reference|
|Killileagh||1657||Inq. Down (Reeves1) 145|
- Parish in 1851
- Place name ID
- Place name type