Lambeg Parish (Down portion), County Down
Ir. Lann Bheag ‘little church’
Village is 2km N of Lisburn
bar: Massereene Upper
The Church of Ireland church in the townland of Lambeg North is thought to occupy the site of a Franciscan friary. A previous alternative name for Lambeg was Tulaigh na Sagart ‘hillock of the priests’. The parish has a small portion in Co. Antrim, which includes Lambeg town and the townlands of Lambeg North (barony of Belfast Upper) and Lambeg South (barony of Massereene Upper), but the greater portion lies east of the Lagan in the barony of Castlereagh Upper in Co. Down.
ReferencesP. McKay (1999): A Dictionary of Ulster Place-Names, p. 93; with additions PT, 2012.
Other portion in Co. Antrim; see the town of Lambeg (Co. Antrim) for historical forms of this name.
Find further information about this place at:
Historical name form
- Castlereagh Upper
- Parish in 1851
- Place name ID
- Place name type