Town Parks of Donaghadee, County Down
Eng. town + parks + Donaghadee
The name Town Parks is commonly applied to a townland which forms the central area of a town, in this case the town of Donaghadee.
The initial element of Donaghadee derives from Irish domhnach, an early term for ‘church’ borrowed from Latin dominicum. Many domhnach-names are traditionally associated with St Patrick, and whilst others may have been coined independently of the Patrician mission, the word domhnachhas been taken to indicate a church of the Early Christian period, as it appears to have fallen out of natural linguistic use by the end of the 7th century (Flanagan, D. 1981-2c: 70). However, Donaghadee is first attested in 1204 (ecclesiam de Donanachti, Pontif. Hib. i §59) and there is no tradition of a pre-Norman church or settlement here. Indeed, little is known of the town before it was planted by Sir Hugh Montgomery in the 17thcentury.
The second element is particularly problematic. Although the official Irish version of Donaghadee is Domhnach Daoi (GÉ 89), the meaning of Daoi is obscure and this form must be treated with some caution as there are no early references in Irish language sources on which to rely. Reeves suggested that Donaghadee derives from Domhnach Díth ‘church of loss’ (EA 17). The variety of 19thcentury interpretations suggests that the name was not understood. R.J. Hannan considered the possibility of a saint, as combinations of domhnach + saint’s name are reasonably common (PNI ii 195). On purely linguistic grounds one might consider David, bishop of the Welsh, who lived in the 6th century and whose Welsh name, Dewi, is not too far removed from Daoi. However, we lack supporting evidence for his veneration at Donaghadee, and in Ulster more generally. Although the church of Donaghadee is listed in the Papal Taxation of 1306 as ecclesia de Dofnachti (EA 16), there is no mention of a dedication to a particular saint, and, at present, this gap cannot be filled from later church records.
A more satisfactory solution may be provided by the word daoi ‘embankment, moat, house’ (Dinneen; OIr. doé, DIL), an interpretation which was apparently supported by Seán Mac Airt (see archival records at logainm.ie), though this view remained unpublished. The earliest known structure at Donaghadee is a medieval motte, now surmounted by a castellated tower built in 1821 (ASCD 193). If the correct meaning of Domhnach Daoi is 'church of the motte', it would appear to date to Anglo-Norman times rather than the Early Christian period (cf. Donaghcloney, which also lacks early medieval history).
ReferencesHannan R. J. (1992): Place-Names of Northern Ireland vol. 2 p. 195; revised PT, 2013.
See town of Donaghadee for historical forms of that name.
Historical name form
|Old Form||Ref. Date||Reference|
|Towne and Parks of Donaghadee||1834c||OSNB E 167 E24|
- Ards Lower
- Parish in 1851
- Place name ID
- Place name type