Castlereagh Lower, County Down
Ir. An Caisleán Riabhach ‘the grey castle’ + Eng. lower
The castle (no trace of which remains) located in the townland of Castlereagh, par. Knockbreda, was probably called riabhach ‘grey’ because it was made of stone. It was sometimes known as Castle Clannaboy because it was the stronghold of the O’Neills of Clannaboy (alias Clandeboye) in the second half of the sixteenth century. It was sold by Sir Conn O’Neill (who gave name to Conn’s Water) to Sir Moses Hill in 1616. The site is marked by the Orange Hall close to Castlereagh Presbyterian church on Church Road. Castlereagh has also given name to the two baronies of Castlereagh Upper and Castlereagh Lower and to the local government district of Castlereagh Borough.
ReferencesPMcK, 2009; with additions PT, 2012.
See the townland of Castlereagh for historical forms of this name
Find further information about this place at:
Historical name form
- Castlereagh Lower
- Parish in 1851
- Place name ID
- Place name type