Placenamesni.orgthe history behind our place-names

Castlereagh Upper, County Down

Origin

Ir. An Caisleán Riabhach ‘the grey castle’ + Eng. upper

Background

The castle (no trace of which remains) located in the townland of Castlereagh, par. Knockbreda, was probably called riabhach ‘grey’ because it was made of stone. It was sometimes known as Castle Clannaboy because it was the stronghold of the O’Neills of Clannaboy (alias Clandeboye) in the second half of the sixteenth century.  It was sold by Sir Conn O’Neill (who gave name to Conn’s Water) to Sir Moses Hill in 1616.  The site is marked by the Orange Hall close to Castlereagh Presbyterian church on Church Road. Castlereagh has also given name to the two baronies of Castlereagh Upper and Castlereagh Lower and to the local government district of Castlereagh Borough.

References

PMcK, 2009; with additions PT, 2012.

Additional Information

See the townland of Castlereagh for historical forms of this name

Find further information about this place at:

Historical name form

Old FormRef. DateReference

Castlereagh Barony

1661BSD 120
Barony
Castlereagh Upper
Parish
barony
Parish in 1851
barony
Townland
None
Place name ID
17701
Place name type
B