Loughinisland Parish, County Down
Ir. Loch an Oileáin 'lake of the island'
Village is 7km W of Downpatrick
The island, which was the headquarters of the McCartan rulers of Kinelarty, is in Loughinisland Lake in the townland of Tievenadarragh and can be reached by a causeway. It contains the ruins of three churches, of which the middle one is the earliest, as well as an ancient graveyard.
ReferencesP. McKay (1999): A Dictionary of Ulster Place-Names, p. 100
See the village of Loughinisland for historical forms of this name
Historical name form
- Parish in 1851
- Place name ID
- Place name type