Drumcree, County Armagh
Ir. Droim Crí [drim kree] ‘boundary ridge’.
Townland is 4km NNW of Portadown town centre
bar: Oneilland West
The final element is a shortened form of críche, the genitive of críoch ‘boundary’. The boundary in question may be the nearby Upper Bann which borders the parish on the east and at an earlier period separated the territories of Clann Bhreasail and Clann Chana. It now separates the baronies of ONEILLAND EAST and ONEILLAND WEST. The Church of Ireland church marks the site of the medieval parish church [Drumandcryuaich 1366].
ReferencesMcKay, P. (2007): A Dictionary of Ulster Place-Names, p. 61
Historical name form
- Oneilland West
- Parish in 1851
- Place name ID
- Place name type