Finvoy Parish, County Antrim
Ir. An Fhionnbhoith [an innwoy] ‘the white hut/monastic cell’.
Hamlet is 6.6km S of Ballymoney
The site of the monastery may be marked by FINVOY GRAVEYARD which lies 4km to the south-west, in the townland of VOW, a name which appears to represent Ir. An Bhoith [an woy], an abbreviated form of the parish name An Fhionnbhoith, seeArtnagross. There is also an old graveyard a short distance to the west of the hamlet of Finvoy in the townland of KNOCKANS[Le Fynmaugh 1333].
ReferencesMcKay, P. (2007): A Dictionary of Ulster Place-Names, p. 69/70
Historical name form
- Parish in 1851
- Place name ID
- Place name type