Glenwhirry Parish, County Antrim
Ir. Gleann an Choire [glan a khurra] ‘glen of the cauldron/whirlpool’.
The glen is the upper valley of the Glenwhirry River which rises 9km W of Larne and joins the Main 5.5km S of Ballymena
bar: Antrim Lower
The final element of the place-name refers to a deep pool beneath a waterfall near the source of the river, in the townland of SKERRYWHIRRY (Ir. Sceir an Choire ‘rocky hill of the cauldron’). The lower portion of the GLENWHIRRY RIVER (Ir. Abhainn an Choire [owen a khurra] ‘river of the cauldron’) is known as the Kells Water. There is no trace or record of ecclesiastical remains in the parish, though a mutilated round cairn in the townland of Glenwhirry is known as BISHOP’S CAIRN [(Owen) Glancurry 1605].
Historical name form
|Old Form||Ref. Date||Reference|
|Sráith Fothar Faire||2000||NIPNP signage B''fast/PMcK|
- Antrim Lower
- Parish in 1851
- Place name ID
- Place name type