Bellarena, County Derry
perhaps F. belle ‘beautiful’ + L. arena ‘sandy place/strand’.
par: Magilligan bar: Keenaght
At W foot of Binevenagh, 6.5km NNW of Limavady
The name Bellarena was coined in the late 18th century to refer to a house and demesne. The mansion, which still stands on the north bank of the Roe, was built in 1797 by Conolly Gage, on land settled in the mid 17th century by his ancestor William Gage from Northamptonshire in England. It incorporates parts of an earlier house built in 1690. The original Ir. name of the townland of Bellarena was Baile an Mhargaidh [bala an waragee] ‘townland of the market’ [Bellarena 1835].
Historical name form
- Parish in 1851
- Place name ID
- Place name type