Henrystughan, County Fermanagh
Ir. Éadan an Stocáin “hill brow of the stake or stump”
Henrystughan lies on the border with the parish of Aghavea, approximately a mile and a half north-east of Lisnaskea.
The documentary evidence suggests that the place-name derives from Irish Éadan an Stocáin “hill brow of the stake or stump” and that the initial element has been corrupted to Henry, no doubt in memory of a former proprietor of townland. The Irish word stocán/stacán “a stake, stack or stock..a tree trunk..a crag, small hill” (Dinneen sv.) is likely to be a borrowing from English stack (DIL sv. staca) which is also the basis of the Scots dialect word stuchen “stake, post” (Chambers Scots Dictionary sv. stucken) and the latter form may well have influenced the anglicised version of Henrystughan. The Irish element stocán is found in the nearby minor place-name Stuckanduff (<Stocán Dubh “black stake or stump”) in the townland of Carrickyheenan in the parish of Aghavea. The identity of the individual named Henry who is referred to in Henrystughan is unknown.
References(info. from McKay, P. (2004): Place-Names of Northern Ireland vol. 8 p. 118)
Historical name form
|Old Form||Ref. Date||Reference|
|Henerastughan||1817||GJM M'stephana (OSNB) B62|
|Henrystoughan||1824||HC Sur.& Val.(OSNB) B62|
|Henrystuehen||1830c||Bnd. Sur. (OSNB) B62|
|Henrystuehen||1833||Mr Buck's Letter (OSNB) B62|
|""this is Scotch""||1834c||J O'D (OSNB) B62|
- Parish in 1851
- Place name ID
- Place name type