Placenamesni.orgthe history behind our place-names

Kilrooskagh, County Fermanagh

Origin

perhaps Ir. Cúil Rúscach ‘corner of the marsh/morass’

Background

The element rúscach appears to derive from the root element rúsc ‘bark of tree’ (Ó Dónaill), also listed as meaning ‘crust, shell, husk or pod’ (Dinneen). Rúscach can also be interpreted as ‘rough, wrinkled’ when referring to skin (Ó Dónaill), and it is most likely intended to be interpreted similarly in reference to the landscape in toponyms. Joyce (iii, 430) translates it directly as ‘roosk’, whereas the JOD form interprets it as ‘morass’. As a standalone element, Rúscach is anglicised Rooskagh in Co. Cork and Roosky in Co. Donegal (logainm.ie).

As always with the element kill in place-names, without some corroborative evidence, it is virtually impossible to state with certainty whether it refers tocoill ‘wood’ or cill ‘church, churchyard’. In this townland, the Roman Catholic Church of St. Patrick sits to the north of the townland, which might indicate cill ‘church’ rather than coill ‘wood’, Note however the early reference in The martyrology of Tallaght (0830c) notes a place Cúil Rúscach ‘somewhere in Breifne’, which might well be Kilrooskagh here in Co. Fermanagh. If correct, the origin of the name is therefore more likely to be Cúil Rúscach ‘corner of the marsh/morass’.

References

FK

Additional Information

Historical name form

Old FormRef. DateReference
(?)Lugaid Cule Ruscaidh (Cúil Rúscach Breifne/Cav-0830cMart. Tal. 16 Feb.12 /221n
Keilrooghamore (Clonawley)1672cHib. Del. Fermanagh
(?)Kilbroaskagh Chapel1834OSM xiv 17
Killrooskagh1834OSM xiv 29
~Coill Rúsgach ""wood of the morass""1834J O'D (OSNB) B130 B54
""church or wood of the roosk or marsh""1913Joyce iii 430
Barony
Clanawley
Parish
Cleenish
Parish in 1851
Cleenish
Townland
None
Place name ID
19633
Place name type
T