Placenamesni.orgthe history behind our place-names

Churchtown, County Tyrone

Origin

An English name

Background

This is clearly an English name. There are a number of burial grounds indicated in the townland, possibly indicating previous church sites. There is also a portal tomb which appears as 'Druid's Altar', and a wedge tomb appearing as 'Giant's grave, Todd's Den' on the OS 6" map of 1832.

 

The sole early form Teghiumricke (Sti Aghorogi) (1609) appears to contain the element teach 'house', which often signifies ‘church’ in early place-names (Muhr 2001, 12), although this form appears to be rather curropted, and the qualifying component in this name (-umricke-) cannot be correlated with any Saint's name, and requires further research.

 

The townland incorporates the town of Castlederg.

References

FK (2020)

Additional Information

Historical name form

Old FormRef. DateReference
Teghiumricke (Sti Aghorogi)1609cBp Montgomery Sur. (SAM 17) 55
Churchtown,ch1836OSM v 141
no evidence has been recorded for this townland2002HMC replies HMCsept02
no evidence has been recorded for this townland2002HMC replies HMCsept02
Barony
Omagh West
Parish
Urney
Parish in 1851
Urney
Townland
None
Place name ID
20840
Place name type
T