Placenamesni.orgthe history behind our place-names

Dungannon Lower, County Tyrone

Origin

Ir. Dún Geanainn [doon ganin] ‘Geanann’s fort’.

Background

15.5km S of Cookstown

par: Drumglass bar: Dungannon Middle

According to legend Dungannon was named from Geanann son of Cathbadh the Druid who lived here in pagan times. The site of a medieval fortress of the O’Neills is marked by ruins of an 18th-century castle which stand on CASTLE HILL just north of MARKET SQUARE. Dungannon is mainly in the townland of DRUMCOO in the barony of DUNGANNON MIDDLE which is bounded on the north by DUNGANNON UPPER and on the south-west by DUNGANNON LOWER [(caislén)Dúingenainn 1505].

References

McKay, P. (2007): A Dictionary of Ulster Place-Names, p. 63/64

Additional Information

Historical name form

Old FormRef. DateReference
airchinneach Arda bó saoi neccna, M.Ua Flaithecan1103AFM ii 972
airchinnech Arda Bó sui, Murchadh H Flaithecan1103AU (Mac Airt) 542
airchinnech Arda Bó, Murchadh H Flaithecan1103AU (Mac Airt) 542
Ard bó do losccadh, Lughbhadh Suird CholaimChille71166AFM ii 1158
Ardd mBó do loscadh o Ruaidri mac mic Canaí [7rl]1166AU ii 152
Clanagher [obsolete district]1610Speed's Ulster
(?)Clanaghery, usefull Woods1657cCiv. Surv. iii 248
?Clanaghery, Lord Mountnorise land of1657cCiv. Surv. iii 250
Barony
Dungannon Lower
Parish
barony
Parish in 1851
barony
Townland
None
Place name ID
20925
Place name type
B