Dungannon Middle, County Tyrone
Ir. Dún Geanainn [doon ganin] ‘Geanann’s fort’.
15.5km S of Cookstown
par: Drumglass bar: Dungannon Middle
According to legend Dungannon was named from Geanann son of Cathbadh the Druid who lived here in pagan times. The site of a medieval fortress of the O’Neills is marked by ruins of an 18th-century castle which stand on CASTLE HILL just north of MARKET SQUARE. Dungannon is mainly in the townland of DRUMCOO in the barony of DUNGANNON MIDDLE which is bounded on the north by DUNGANNON UPPER and on the south-west by DUNGANNON LOWER [(caislén)Dúingenainn 1505].
ReferencesMcKay, P. (2007): A Dictionary of Ulster Place-Names, p. 63/64
Historical name form
|Old Form||Ref. Date||Reference|
|airchindeach Arda Trea, MlBrig Ua Cionaodha [d.||1127||AFM ii 1026n|
|airchinnech Airde Trea||1127||AU (Mac Airt) 572|
|um ghéig nGabhra (verse) [?Gabhar Uladh]||1444c||LCABuidhe 72 iv l.36|
- Dungannon Middle
- Parish in 1851
- Place name ID
- Place name type