Placenamesni.orgthe history behind our place-names

Cappagh Parish, County Tyrone

Origin

Ir. Ceapach Mhic Cuarta [kapagh vick koorta] ‘McCourt’s tillage-plot’.

Background

Borders on the town of Omagh on the north

bar: Omagh East/Strabane Upper

The McCourts were the ancient erenaghs of the parish. The ruins of the former parish church are in a graveyard on the south bank of the CAPPAGH BURN in the townland of DUNMULLAN, 7km north of the town of Omagh, the northern portion of which is included in the parish [(sagurt) Cheapaigh Mhec Cuarta c.1645].

References

McKay, P. (2007): A Dictionary of Ulster Place-Names, p. 33

Additional Information

cf. Cappagh Burn 4108

Historical name form

Old FormRef. DateReference
Kappagh (dec. de Mahya)1397Colton Vis. 70
Keppagh, ecclesiam vocatum1397Colton Vis. 4
Keppagh, herenaco de1397Colton Vis. 7
Tewnamore, 1 of 4 balliboes & 2 sessioghs of Cappa1397Colton Vis. 7n,RotPat13Jac
Cappaghquoart1609Colton Vis. 70g
Tappie (Sti Eugenis)1609cBp Montgomery Sur. (SAM 17) 57
Capagh1610Speed's Ulster
Sessioghtemple, 1 of 4 balliboes & 2 sessioghs of 1615cColton Vis. 7n,RotPat13Jac
Cappagh, rectory1671Bishop. Der. ii 1 $206
Cappah1686Bishop. Der. ii 110 $279
Kappah1692Bishop. Der. ii 133 $298
Cappagh (Par. in bar. Strabane)1802Stat. Sur. Tyr. (McEvoy) 3
Cappa, par.1835cOSM v 15
Cappagh par.1835cOSM v 15,16,18-21
Ceapach Mhic Chuarta1947Top. Frag. comments 137
Barony
Omagh East/Strabane Upper
Parish
Cappagh
Parish in 1851
Cappagh
Townland
None
Place name ID
20937
Place name type
P