Placenamesni.orgthe history behind our place-names

Bangor Bog, County Down

Origin

Bangor (place-name) + Eng. bog

Background

The small townland of Bangor Bog is totally within in the parish of Bangor, but split between the baronies of Ards Lower and Castlereagh Lower.  It seems to be of comparatively recent origin but the bog itself appears to be marked on Raven Map Clandeboy which dates from 1625. The townland takes its name from the town and parish of Bangor, the original Irish name of which is Beannchar. The root word of Beannchar is beann ‘point, spike’ and the place-name appears to refer to the pointed, wattled enclosure around the early monastery here which was founded by St Comgall c. 555AD. Although 'bog' is a word of Irish origin (< bogach 'soft, boggy ground'), there is no evidence that this place-name ever existed in Irish and it may be a late coinage in English.

References

Hannan R. J. (1992): Place-Names of Northern Ireland vol. 2 p. 161

Additional Information

split townland, other portion in barony of Ards Lower; see Bangor town and parish for details of that name.

Historical name form

Old FormRef. DateReference

Com[m]on Moss of Bangor, The

1625Raven Map Clandeboye 7 et passim

Great Moss of Bangor, The

1625Raven Map Clandeboye 5

Bangor Bog

1834cOSNB: gen. sources
Barony
Castlereagh Lower
Parish
Bangor
Parish in 1851
Bangor
Townland
None
Place name ID
35060
Place name type
T:X