Placenamesni.orgthe history behind our place-names

Victoria Park, County Down

Origin

Victoria (forename, < Queen Victoria) + Eng. park

Background

Victoria Park on the east bank of the Conn's Water is named from Queen Victoria and was opened as a public park on 15 September 1906 by Alderman John McCormick - some 52 years after a park was first proposed in that area of Belfast.  It is first designated a townland in the 1901 Census and is partly in the neighbouring parish of Holywood.  It is based on land reclaimed from the mudflats of the Connswater estuary. A nearby channel in Belfast Lough is known as Victoria Channel.  Victoria Park is a popular name for public parks throughout the UK.

References

P. McKay, 2009

Additional Information

split townland: other portion in par. Holywood / bar. Castlereagh Lower; first designated a townland in 1901 Census.

Historical name form

Sorry your query did not return any results.
Barony
Castlereagh Upper
Parish
Knockbreda
Parish in 1851
None
Townland
None
Place name ID
35200
Place name type
T