Annaclone, County Down
Ir. Eanach Luain 'marsh of the haunch-like hill'
Village is 7km SE of Banbridge
bar: Iveagh Upper, Upper Half
The site of the former parish church of Annaclone is marked by a graveyard in the townland of ARDBRIN. The village of Annaclone is partly in the latter townland and partly in TULLINTANVALLY [Enaghluan 1422].
The parish was first referred to in AD 1422, as Enaghluan (Reg. Dowdall §129 275). There is no townland bearing the parish name, but Annaclone is the name of the village, partly in the townland of Ardbrin and partly in Tullintanvally, which contains the First Anaghlone Presbyterian church (OS 1:10,000 sh. 238).
ReferencesMcKay, P. (2007): A Dictionary of Ulster Place-Names, p. 4, Muhr, K. (1996): Place-Names of Northern Ireland vol. 6 p. 61-3
See also the parish of Annaclone
Historical name form
- Iveagh Up., Up. Half
- Parish in 1851
- Place name ID
- Place name type