Placenamesni.orgthe history behind our place-names

Eglinton, County Derry

Origin

The original name of the village of Eglinton was MUFF(Ir. An Mhagh [an wy] ‘the plain’)

Background

9.5km NE of Derry city

par: Faughanvale bar: Tirkeeran

The original name of the village of Eglinton was MUFF(Ir. An Mhagh [an wy] ‘the plain’) from the townland in which it is situated on the east bank of the MUFF RIVER. It was changed to Eglinton in 1858 when the Earl of Eglinton was Lord Lieutenant of Ireland.

References

McKay, P. (2007): A Dictionary of Ulster Place-Names, p. 67

Additional Information

Historical name form

Old FormRef. DateReference
~(?)oc Tracht Mugha0941AFM ii 648
~An Mhagh1989GÉ 220
~An Mhagh ""the plain""1999Dict. Ulst. PN 66
Barony
Tirkeeran
Parish
Faughanvale
Parish in 1851
Faughanvale
Townland
Muff
Place name ID
524
Place name type
M