Kilroot, County Antrim
Ir. Cill Ruaidh [kill rooee] ‘church of the red land’.
Townland is 2.5km NE of Carrickfergus
The site of the ancient church is marked by the remains of a 17th-century house and bawn known as BISHOP’S HOUSE[(Colman) Cilli Ruaid c.830].
ReferencesMcKay, P. (2007): A Dictionary of Ulster Place-Names, p. 89;
Historical name form
|Old Form||Ref. Date||Reference|
- Belfast Lower
- Parish in 1851
- Place name ID
- Place name type