Placenamesni.orgthe history behind our place-names

Newtownabbey, County Antrim

Origin

Background

Adjoins the city of Belfast on the north

par: Carnmoney bar: Belfast Lower

The new town of Newtownabbey was created in 1958 out of the existing villages of Carnmoney, Glengormley, Jordanstown, Monkstown, Whitehouse, Whitewell and Whiteabbey, the latter providing the final element of the place-name and referring to a 13th-century abbey, no trace of which now remains (see Whiteabbey).

References

McKay, P. (2007): A Dictionary of Ulster Place-Names, p. 117

Additional Information

Newtown Abbey U.D. (1961 Cen.)

Historical name form

Old FormRef. DateReference
~Baile na Mainistreach1989GÉ 258
~Baile na Mainistreach1989GÉ 258
Barony
Belfast Lower
Parish
Carnmoney
Parish in 1851
Carnmoney
Townland
None
Place name ID
6488
Place name type
M