Placenamesni.orgthe history behind our place-names

Conlig, County Down

Origin

Ir. An Choinleac  ‘the hound-flagstone’

Background

3km S of Bangor

par: Bangor bar: Ards Lower

Conlig is attested in Irish as An Choinleac 'the hound-flagstone'; note its presence in the form Feall na Coinnleice ‘the deception of Conlig’ in an authoritative Irish-language source from Co. Down dating to the middle of the 18th century (O’Neill Funeral Oration 267). As place-names which are a compound of two nouns are unlikely to have been coined after the 6th century (Mac Giolla Easpaig 1981), the name Coinleac clearly belongs to an early stratum of nomenclature. The precise reason for the name Conlig is unclear but the stone which gave the townland its name still survives on Runestone Hill. NISMR notes its situation ‘on a flat plateau of land… overlooking lower ground to the north... 1.87m tall’. It also notes that 'its west face is noticeably straight while the east side is gently curved’, but the .  Runestone is 'apparently a new name for the monument’ (NISMR). The townland was noted as a boundary marker between the baronies of Ards and Castlereagh in c. 1655 (Civ. Surv. x §§68, 75). The name Conlig is not very common but there are two other places so called in Co. Down, one in Knockbreda parish not far away (J 3867), and a Conlig Quarter in Inch parish in Lecale (J 4547).

References

McKay, P. (2007): A Dictionary of Ulster Place-Names, p. 46; Hannan R. J. (1992): Place-Names of Northern Ireland vol. 2 p. 162; revised KM

Additional Information

T., 1851 Census

Historical name form

Old FormRef. DateReference

Conlack

1625cRaven Map Clandeboye 9

Conlegg

1655cCiv. Surv. x $68

Couleck

1659cCensus 1659 94

Conlige, half of

1681Ham. Copy Rental 110

feall na Coinnleice

1744O'Neill Fun. Oration 267

Conlig

1810Wm. Map (OSNB) No. 54

Conlig

1830cBnd. Sur. (OSNB) E.54

Con-liag "stone of the hounds"

1834cJ O'D (OSNB) No. 54

Choinleac, An

1989GÉ 74

An Coinleac "the hound-stone"

1999Dict. Ulst. PN 46

Coinleac "hound stone"

1999Cel. Ulst. Tds 21
Barony
Ards Lower
Parish
Bangor
Parish in 1851
Bangor
Townland
None
Place name ID
6696
Place name type
T:V