Placenamesni.orgthe history behind our place-names

Ballymiscaw, County Down

Origin

Ir. Baile Lios na Scáth ‘townland of the fort of the shadows or spectres’

Background

The name of the townland of Ballymiscaw is recorded as Ballisnekah al. Ballisnesca in the Hamilton Patent of 1620 and the most satisfactory interpretation of the place-name is Baile Lios na Scáth ‘townland of the fort of the shadows or spectres’.  Two forts are recorded in the townland, one of which is known as simply ‘The Fort’.  This very large townland covers 895 acres and includes most of Stormont Castle estate and most of Knock Golf Club.

References

P. McKay, 2009

Additional Information

Historical name form

Old FormRef. DateReference

Baile Miosgaith

1834cJ O'D (OSNB) No. 38

Baile Lios na Scath ""the townland of the enclosure >

1991NIPNP posters Belfast
Ballisnekah al Ballisnesca1620Ham. Patent [1620] xxi
Ballelisnescra al. Ballyhugh1623Ham. Copy Inq. [1623] xlii
Ballyhugh al. Ballylisnisca1623Ham. Copy Inq. [1623] xxxiv
B:Mc Sca1659cCensus 1659 87
Ballym''sea1663Sub. Roll Down 284
Ballymascaw1745Map of Down (OSNB) No. 48
Ballymascaw1745Map of Down (OSNB) No. 48
Ballymascaw1810Wm. Map (OSNB) No. 48
Ballymascaw1810Wm. Map (OSNB) No. 48
Ballymiscaw1830cBnd. Sur. (OSNB) No. 48
Ballymiscaw1830cBnd. Sur. (OSNB) No. 48
Barony
Castlereagh Lower
Parish
Dundonald
Parish in 1851
Dundonald
Townland
None
Place name ID
6771
Place name type
T