Tullycarnet, County Down
Ir. Tulaigh Charnáin ‘hillock of the little cairn’.
Suburb, 4.5km E of Belfast city centre
par: Knockbreda bar: Castlereagh Lower
Tullycarnet is located in the north-east of the parish of Knockbreda, and it borders on the parishes of Holywood, Dundonald and Comber. The name of the townland is recorded as Tullecarnan in 1623 and all other 17th-century spellings of the place-name display a final -n, indicating that the final element is carnán ‘little cairn’. A similar development of final -n to -t is found in the name of the townland of Ravernet (Irish Ráth Bhearnáin ‘fort of the little gap’) which lies roughly six miles to the south-west, in the parish of Blaris. There is now no trace or record of a cairn in the townland of Tullycarnet.
ReferencesP. McKay, 2009; revised PT 2012; McKay, P. (2007): A Dictionary of Ulster Place-Names, p. 142;
Historical name form
|Old Form||Ref. Date||Reference|
Tulaigh Cairnet or Cairn Neid ""hill of Ned''s cairn
|1834c||J O'D (OSNB) No. 44|
Tulaigh Charnáin ""hillock of the little cairn""
|1999||Dict. Ulst. PN 142|
|Balle-Tullecarnan||1623||Ham. Copy Inq.  xliii|
|Balletullecarnan||1623||Ham. Copy Inq.  xxxiii|
|Tullecarnan||1623||Ham. Copy Inq.  lv|
|Tolletarnan||1659c||Census 1659 88|
|Tullycarnet||1745||Map of Down (OSNB) E 124|
|Tullycarnet||1810||Wm. Map (OSNB) E 124|
- Castlereagh Lower
- Parish in 1851
- Place name ID
- Place name type