Placenamesni.orgthe history behind our place-names

White Head, County Antrim

Origin

Ir. An Cionn Bán ‘the white head’

Background

On E Antrim coast, 7km NE of Carrickfergus

par: Templecorran bar: Belfast Lower

The place takes its name from a prominent limestone headland known as WHITE HEAD, a name which contrasts with Black Head, a promontory a short distance to the north-east.

The original settlement appears to have grown up around CASTLE CHICHESTER, a small tower-house built by Sir Moses Hill c.1604 the remains of which stand in the neighbouring townland of CASTLETOWN, parish of Islandmagee [the White-Head 1683].

References

McKay, P. (2007): A Dictionary of Ulster Place-Names, p. 146;

Additional Information

Historical name form

Old FormRef. DateReference
Kinbaine or whit head1595Mercator's Ulst.
White Head1780Lendrick Map
~An Cionn Bán1989GÉ 282
~An Cionn Bán1989GÉ 282
Barony
Belfast Lower
Parish
Templecorran
Parish in 1851
Templecorran
Townland
None
Place name ID
6879
Place name type
T