Bovevagh, County Derry
Ir. Boith Mhéabha [boh veyva] ‘Maeve’s hut/monastic cell’.
Townland is 5km NW of Dungiven
In this case the ‘hut’ or ‘monastic cell’ seems to have been on the site of the former parish church of Bovevagh, the ruins of which are close to the confluence of the BOVEVAGH RIVER with the ALTAHULLION BURN. In Irish mythology Medb (Mod. Ir. Méabh)was the goddess of sovereignty but in this case she has clearly been ‘christianised’. The name was formerly very common and has latterly become popular in the anglicised form Maeve [(derteach)Bothe Medba 1100].
ReferencesMcKay, P. (2007) A Dictionary of Ulster Place-Names, p.28;
Historical name form
- Parish in 1851
- Place name ID
- Place name type